Kent Valley Electrical Fire – Everything Performed as Designed
Kent Valley Ice Centre, Kent, WA., Thursday, January 3, 2018 - Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority (PSRFA) responded to a sprinkler alarm at the popular Kent Valley Ice Centre at 11:30 a.m. Sunday, December 23rd, 2018. The alarm was upgraded to a commercial building fire after reports of smoke coming from the compressor room.
Kent Valley Ice Centre staff safely evacuated everyone from the building and there were no injuries. Firefighters found a large electrical panel had caught fire and activated the sprinkler system. The fire was quickly extinguished by the building’s fire sprinkler system and there was no danger of it spreading. The fire is considered accidental, according to the an PSRFA investigator.
The ice rink was up and running on auxiliary power Monday morning following clean up and repairs by rink staff and commercial recovery teams. The auxiliary power generator in the parking lot could be required for a few weeks while replacement equipment is installed.
Owner, Lexi Doner, said, “All the safety and fire suppression systems performed as designed. The smoke alarm set off fire alarms throughout the building, everyone was evacuated within a couple of minutes, the sprinkler system was activated by the fire in the electrical panel and the fire was extinguished.” Doner went on to thank the PSRFA for their prompt response to the alarm and thanked rink staff for their quick action in reporting the fire and evacuating customers from the building. Doner said, “We were pleased to be back up and running so quickly and open during the busy holiday skating season.”
Photo provided by Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority